West Hempstead Branch Stations

The current West Hempstead branch was built north from Valley Stream in 1893 and originally was connected with the Hempstead branch at Country Life Press. The portion from West Hempstead to CLP was abandoned just before WWII but the tracks remained into the 1960's and were sometimes used for freight movements and reroutes. One interesting sidenote - Battery powered cars were used on this line from 1913 to 1926.

The stations of the line are as follows:

Westwood - Between Foster Ave. and Whitehall St. at John St. The station straddles the Lynbrook/Malverne border, as can bee seen in the signs. Side platform with one track. No station building. The first two pictures were taken in February, 1999. The remaining pictures were taken in June, 2006. The station opened in 1929. The station is unusual since a pedestrian-only crossing allows you to get across the tracks.

.

Malverne - At Hempstead Ave. and Park Blvd. Side platform with one track. The station building was erected in 1909. The first two pictures were taken in February, 1999. The remaining pictures were taken in June, 2006.

.

Lakeview - Eagle. Ave. and Woodfield Rd. Side platform with one track. No station building. The first picture is from 1999; the rest are June, 2006.

Hempstead Gardens - Between Mulberry La. and Hempstead Gardens Dr. at Chestnut and Garden Sts. Side platform with one track, although you can see the stub end of a second track looking north towards West Hempstead. No station building. Although the ROW of the West Hempstead branch is wide enough for two tracks, it has always been single tracked between Westwood and Hempstead Gardens. The pictures are from June, 2006 except for the first, which is February, 1999.

West Hempstead - At Hempstead Ave. between Woodfield Rd. and Hempstead Gardens Dr. Center platform with two tracks, plus several storage tracks. The brick station building was built in 1959, after the line was cut back to West Hempstead. The first two pictures are from 1999; the last five were taken in March, 2006

.

Back to Stations Today page