This first map is from 1873, and is very interesting since it shows the LIRR and all its early competitors. In the second, I have color coded each of the various RR's
This map, conctributed by Big John, was on the inside front cover of a Freight Tariff Booklet. Note that the White Line, Woodside Branch, Central Branch and "Cedarhurst Cutoff" are all shown, They would all shortly be abandoned.
The first map shows the western portion of Long Island, Brooklyn, Queens and western Nassau, and is interesting in that it also shows the rapid transit lines, both surface and elevated. The second shows the entire Island. In the first map note the Lutheran Cemetery Line (that portion of the current "M" train from Wyckoff Ave. to Metropolitan Ave.) as well as the Cypress Hills Cemetery line (later a trolley line) - both used "steam dummy" trains. In fact the station on the Cypress Hills line where it intersected the NY & Manhattan Beach Ry. was called Dummy Crossing when it first opened in 1883.
Here's a map of the LIRR from about 1910. Even though the map says 1900, it must be from the later date since it does show the Rockaway branch extending all the way to Rego Park (White Pot Junction). That portion was not built until 1910.
The following three maps are from the June 24, 1951 Timetable booklet. The first shows Brooklyn, Queens and Nassau; the second, Western Suffolk; the third, the East End.
Note the following:
1. The West Hempstead branch is shown continuing on to Country Life Press and Mineola; however, there is no passenger service shown in the timetable between West Hempstead and Mineola.
2. The Meadowbrook Spur, with stops at Clinton Road, Mitchel Field and Meadowbrook. The timetable itself shows a shuttle running from Country Life Press, then Clinton Rd., Newsday, A&P and Mitchel Field, with 9 eastbound and 10 westbound trains on weekdays only.
3. The Rockaway Branch, with stops at Rego Park, Parkside, Brooklyn Manor, Ozone Park, etc. Also, on the Rockaway peninsula, the station names are much different than those serviced by the Subway today. At this particular point in time, the trestle over Jamaica Bay was unusable (because of one the the frequent fires that plagued the wooden structure; in fact the ROW was sold a few years later to the NYC Transit Authority and opened as a part of the NYC Subway system in 1956). The timetable shows one service from Hamilton Beach through Rego Park, and another service from Rockaway Park through Far Rockaway and Valley Stream.
4. Port Washington stations at Elmhurst, Corona and United Nations. And, of course, no Shea Stadium.
5. Atlantic branch stops at Woodhaven and at Cedar Manor and Higbie Ave. between Jamaica and Laurelton.
6. Hempstead branch stations at Union Hall St. , Hillside and Bellaire.
7. Port Jefferson branch stations. at Flowerfield and Seatauket.
8. Main Line stations at Grumman, South Farmingdale, Republic, Pineaire, Holbrook, Holtsville, Manorville, Calverton, Aquebogue, Jamesport, Laurel, Cutchogue, Peconic.
9. Babylon and Montauk branch stations at Springfield Gardens, Bayport, Blue Point, Brookhaven, Center Moriches, East Moriches, Eastport and Water Mill.
11. The Creedmoor spur (no passenger service).
The following map is from the June 13, 1948 timetable booklet and shows the western portion of the Island to about Babylon. There are no noticable differences from the corresponding 1951 map above.
On the East End, the line from Manorville to Eastport is still shown on the 1948 map, although the timetable shows no passenger trains running between those two stations.
The next two maps are from the 1963 timetable booklet. The large arrow in the first is pointing to the soon to open World's Fair station (now Shea Stadium). In the first, note the absence of the Rockaway branch, which had been taken over by the NYC Subway seven years earlier. The Creedmore spur is no longer shown and service has been discontinued to Mitchel Field. Also the Belmont Park station is not shown since the racetrack was being rebuilt at that time. In the second, notice the appearance of "Dashing Dan". In both, several other stations that were around in 1951 are now gone.
Here's a map from the September 18, 1938 timetable.
This is a pdf of a booklet of maps, contributed by Big John, showing the freight stations and private sidings. It's a large file so you may want to
right click and save it in a folder rather than viewing in your browser.
Back to LIRR page.