The Huntington Railroad started out on July 19, 1890 as a short 3 mile long horse car line from the Village of Huntington to Halesite on the Harbor. It ran as a connection to the LIRR's Huntington station.
Here's a picture at the Halesite Village Post Office
In April, 1898 the line was purchased by the LIRR and electrified by June 17th of that same year. Ten years later, it was extended south along a right of way that is now mostly Route 110 through Melville and Farmingdale to the dock on Great South Bay in Amityville. The line went under the LIRR Port Jefferson branch at Huntington and the Main Line at Farmingdale. There was an elevated portion over the Babylon branch in Amityville. The total length of the new line was 18.5 miles. Service to Amityville began on August 25, 1909. There was an hourly schedule and a one way trip from end to end lasted 76 minutes. The rolling stock was six double-truck semi-convertible cars from the Ocean Electric Co. There were also seven assorted single truck cars which gave more frequent local service to the railroad stations.
Here's a picture at the Huntington LIRR Station
Here's a picture of #28, a former Ocean Electric car.
Although the cross island service was popular, it was never heavily patronized and, due to the increasing use of autos and rising costs from WWI, the cross island service was ended on September 23, 1919. However, the original porion of the line in Huntington and Halesite was sold to the Huntington Traction Company, where service continued north from Jericho Tpke. until 1927.
Here's a picture of one of the cars with the Huntington traction Co. logo showing
Back to LI Trolleys page